Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First Post

I'm just starting to teach a bible study for middle school, and wanted to share resources I find and work I do.  Starting a math education blog has put me in touch with many people who have similar goals and concerns and I hope that this might, too.  I also write the monthly bible study for a men's group at Lakeshore Lutheran Fellowship, and I'll share those studies, too.

The youth group is at St. John's Episcopal, Grand Haven, MI, and this past week we had our first meet.  It was a week earlier than I expected, and I think that helped keep me from over thinking it.  We read the scriptures for the week looking for text-to-text connections and text-to-self connections.  Did a multiple choice quiz Bowl type game about Lent factoids, and Paczkis (puhnch-kees) in celebration of Mardi Gras.  The readings were Moses coming down with the commandments, Paul's connection with that in 2 Corinthians 3 and the Transfiguration of Jesus from Luke 9.  The main connection I shared was that Paul is saying we can all be like Moses in our relationship to God through Jesus.  It was a bit too much for a first lesson, and the students definitely need more support in applying the strategy.  We'll focus more in coming weeks, and do some scaffolding to try to get at the connections strategy.  The Lenten game was mostly trivia, and the main point was that it's not about becoming more pure or saving ourselves, but opening up ourselves to God's grace.  How do the traditional prayer, fasting and almsgiving do that?

Resources:
Episcopal Lectionary - with links to full text of the weekly readings.
Another Episcopal Lectionary - calendar format with Saint's days.

BibleGateway - great online, searchable bible.  Makes it easy to switch back and forth between the Message and NIV.
Oremus Bible Browser - has the NSRV, official translation of the Episcopal church.

Bev Van Kampen - best bible teacher I know personally; in particular, see her monthly devotional for this Lent.
Nice Lenten meditation - from God's Politics, which is sometimes political, but often has some deep spiritual writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment