Friday, October 8, 2010

Monty Python

There was news this week that British censors tried to get Monty Python to not take the name Jesus Christ in vain in The Holy Grail, which would have been nice.  (Basically the only thing I don't love about that movie.)  They also tried to get them to take out "fart in your general direction,"  which would have been a shame.

I thought this post was a welcome counterpoint: how Monty Python influenced the faith walk of several interesting Christians.

The article has a great quote from a filmmaker named Murray Stiller:
"Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Life of Brian are two great examples of religious satire that helped save my faith. How do films that make fun of religious beliefs and practices strengthen my faith? Simple: It helps me cut through the B.S. to recognize what I don’t believe and clears a path for what is important. Satire helps me to recognize what not to take seriously, especially my selfish quest for spiritual experience and enlightenment-or even worse the conviction that the success of the Kingdom of God rests on my accomplishments. When my goal is self-focused, I become a rightful target of satire."
I have yet to do a bible study on Monty Python, but it's coming.  Riding in from the distance, seemingly never getting closer and then ... suddenly ... SPAM! It'll be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment